Loc.gov JSON API
Get search results for the digital collections available on loc.gov in structured, machine-readable JSON. This API is released as an early look at a work-in-progress that is subject to change as the Library of Congress learns more about the needs of its scholarly and technical-user communities.
- Tutorial: Using the Loc.gov JSON External to grab WWI Sheet Music
Download bibliographic information for most of the Library’s collections. 25 million records are available for exploration in UTF-8, MARC8, and XML formats.
American Archive of Public Broadcasting
The API for the American Archive of Public Broadcasting External (a collaboration between the Library and the WGBH Educational Foundation in Boston) provides access to AAPB’s digitized public radio and television programs and their metadata records.
- About the AAPB APIs External
Chronicling America API and Data Download
Chronicling America (a partnership between LC and the National Endowment for the Humanities) is a collection of millions of historic newspapers. You download the OCR text data of the newspapers and use the API to return structured search results as JSON.
- About the Chronicling America APIs
- Chronicling America Bulk Data – OCR text only
- Chronicling America Bulk Data – image, metadata, and OCR text batches
- Tutorial: Cats or dogs? External An Example of Exploring the Chronicling America API
- "Using Data from Historic Newspapers," a blog post about APIs and data downloads
World Digital Library
The World Digital Library (a partnership between the Library, UNESCO, and libraries, archives, museums, and educational institutions around the world) shares significant primary materials from many cultures and countries, with contextual information available in multiple languages.
Learn how to turn your browser’s search bar into a dedicated and targeted Library of Congress searching tool.
- Tutorial: Search the Library of Congress External from your browser in one step
International Image Interoperability Framework
Explore the ways to request and manipulate images from the Library of Congress collections with IIIF API.
- Tutorial: Change image URLs External to rotate and resize images
The Government Publishing Office, in partnership with the Library of Congress, the Office of the Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives, and the Office of the Secretary of the Senate, hosts bulk data from Congress.gov for download.
- Download Congress.gov search results
- About Congress.gov bulk data
- User guide External for bill status XML bulk data
- Bulk data for bills, bill status, and bill summaries
Check out this curated list of amazing things people have done with our content!
- Library of Congress Lists External by Matt Miller
- A Brief Visual History of MARC Cataloging at the Library of Congress External by Ben Schmidt
- A list of Chronicling America projects
We love to highlight not-for-profit ways LC’s collections, metadata, and products are being used. Let us know what you’re making: email us at [email protected], tweet us at @LC_Labs, or use the hashtag #BuiltwithLC