Experimenting with machine learning applications for libraries, archives, and museums.
Since 2018, the LC Labs team has undertaken and supported a body of research and experimentation with machine learning focusing on ethical uses and addressing the challenges of adoption in libraries and cultural memory organizations. We invite you to explore and use these resources; and to reach out if you have interest in collaborating on shared approaches and solutions.
- Speech to Text Viewer: proof of concept tool testing off-the-shelf transcription tools
- Exploring ML with the Project Aida team: six explorations of how machine learning could be applied to the Library's digital collections
- Experimental Access: exploring experimental ways of providing access to the Library's digital collections
- Humans in the Loop: an experimental humans in the loop workflow for pairing human decision-making with automated processes
- Newspaper Navigator by 2020 Innovator in Residence Ben Lee
- Citizen DJ by 2020 Innovator in Residence Brian Foo
- America’s Public Bible: Machine-Learning Detection of Biblical Quotations Across LOC Collections via Cloud Computing by CCHC Research Expert Lincoln Mullen
- Access & Discovery of Documentary Images by CCHC Research Expert Lauren Tilton
- Situating Ourselves in Cultural Heritage: Using Neural Nets to Expand the Reach of Metadata and See Cultural Data on Our Own Terms by CCHC Researh Expert Andromeda Yelton
Reports and Presentations
- The Machine Learning + Libraries Summit: Event Summary includes more detailed information about the Machine Learning + Libraries Summit hosted by LC Labs in September 2019.
- Digital Libraries, Intelligent Data Analytics, and Augmented Description: Final Report details exploratory projects conducted by the Project Aida Team at the University of Nebraska Lincoln in collaboration with LC Labs and addresses social and technical challenges that are critical context for the development of machine learning in the cultural heritage sector.
- Machine Learning + Libraries: A Report on the State of the Field - LC Labs commissioned Ryan Cordell, Associate Professor of English at Northeastern University, to write this report on the “state of the ﬁeld in machine learning and libraries.”
- 2022 iPres paper: coming soon!
- Coming soon!